Thursday, October 17, 2013

Literacy Project

Teaching writing in Pre-K starts with teaching drawing.  The Dot, a story that inspires students to make their mark, was used as a read aloud to my class.  Then with a set of watercolor paints and a brush each member of the class used colors to create. After the paintings were dry I took pictures of each piece and uploaded them to Little Bird Tales.

The program is easy to navigate, but I had lots of technical errors- plug-ins, inconsistency with sound, not saving on my laptop.  Like my EDUC 584 class I had to move to the library.  Anyway with this came frustrations on my end.  The kids loved it and didn't mind repeating their dictation.  We will continue the project next week.  I only have them in school for 9 hrs a week and it was not possible to finish and meet their little needs.  I included our rough draft.  Next week volume will be right and our pictures will be edited.

The program let us individually narrate each page and then we can eventually publish a class book.  We will invite specials teachers and the principal to view our book and will share with parents at conference time. The kids loved it and were very reflective about the sound and clarity of their voices.  I will continue with more little bird tales, but for now I need to continue to troubleshoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment