Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Learning to Teach

When I started taking graduate courses I was excited to learn strategies to become a better reading teacher.  I honestly had no idea that I would learn as much as I did about accessing, navigating and creating digital tools to incorporate in my classroom.  After completing this course I can confidently teach my young learners using technology.  EDUC 584 Reflection by incillorachel on GoAnimate 

It began with Animoto, a tool I was not familiar with.  It was extremely user friendly and I was able to create a visual schedule for my current class.  Instantly, I realized what adding technology to the lesson actually meant.  My students need constant visual models and because of this course I can create with their specific needs in mind.  I also was able to suggest making book trailers to my colleagues.  In a short time that one project has inspired many.

The next step in the journey was keeping up with a blog page. My favorite part of the course.  At first I felt as if I had nothing to share, but then I realized even a video that I use in my class may inspire another teacher.  I completely love viewing other educator's blogs.  I take a virtual tour of their classroom and then feel energized to try new things.  Blogging was a topic discussed in the class readings, but exploring the world of blogging showed me the endless opportunities.

Skype in the classroom has endless possibilities as well.  We had the chance in EDUC 584 to experience both talking to an author and participating in a mystery geography chat.  Both Skype interactions showed how beneficial the tool can be to learning.  It also provided insight into how to manage the session.  

The web 2.0 projects have proved to be an excellent way to integrate technology into a literacy lesson.  My writing lessons have included making class books that excite and motivate, but never a class story that can be published on the computer with live narration!

I am grateful for this class.  I'm glad it took place during this fall semester as my classroom lessons shift to common core and teaching 21st century skills.  Not only did I have a chance to learn what is available digitally for my students and myself now, but it reminded me that I have to continue learning to teach.  I can't teach my students effectively if I am not constantly learning the newest technology resources.  I never thought blogs or twitter had a place in education because I wasn't interested in their social impact, but their educational impact can be outstanding for global collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment